So…. you have a website for your business, but you are finding that no-one is really visiting or engaging with it. Why? You have a great product, a good looking website that’s easy to use – why aren’t customers checking you out online?
Search Engine Optimisation could play a huge factor in this. A simple configuration error on your website could mean that search engines (like Google and Bing) won’t take any notice of your website. As search engine traffic is most often the primary source of website visitors, this could mean a huge loss in website hits that could be making you money.
How do search engines work?
Without going into too much detail, a search engine does the following tasks:
- It crawls the internet looking for new websites and pages
- It indexes them into it’s own database, making a note of certain criteria such as website address, keywords, backlinks and hundreds of other bits of information.
- It displays these webpages to people who search for something in an order based on it’s algorithm.
Obviously this is a highly simplistic example of how they work, but generally most follow the same pattern.
For your website to be given a high ranking place on the search engine results in step 3, your website must closely match what the user is searching for. As an example, if you were to type in “birthday card for a 21 year old” into a search engine, and they returned a list of results about the “Battle of Agincourt”, you would probably be a bit disappointed!
So search engines must get things right, they need to understand what your webpages and your content is about. This is based on keywords (amongst other factors). These keywords can be found in a number of places on your website, URL’s and content, so must be researched and input correctly for a search engine to correctly understand your message.
A search engines algorithm for displaying results is it’s secret. If the results displayed for a search are good, more people will use that search engine. This means that search engines will not tell you exactly how it works. They only want to display good content, so use all sorts of information to determine how high your webpage will show in their results page.
Getting this right is important. The better suited your content is to a search query, along with all these other factors determines how high you show in the results. As anyone knows, the higher you are, the more visitors you will have.
The algorithm can mark you up for having certain security features on your website, or for displaying well on mobile phones, or for having well-written content. There are hundreds of factors that help determine how a webpage is given a higher rating.
Having poor content that does not fit these factors will mean you will most likely never get a decent place in the search results, so getting it right is essential.
You have a number of options to improve your optimisation on search engines:
- Read up on how to do it yourself – here is alot of content online on how to manage your SEO yourself. Here is some:
- Pay a company to manage it all for you. The drawback is you will keep paying them long-term and sometimes have no input into what you are optimising for.
- Speak to us. We will draw up a tailor-made package giving you complete control over how you optimise your website correctly. This may mean regular checks, training, creating content and more. Happy to talk this through!
Currently, Cayenne Digital are offering a completely free digital marketing appraisal which includes SEO factors. This report is not ‘auto-generated’ but written by one of our team for you. Click here to request yours.